Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke pulled out from the Season 2 of the million dollar Twenty20 tournament — Indian Premier League (IPL). ( Watch movie)
Clarke said on Thursday (February 5) that his decision to skip the lucrative Twenty20 tournament was made because Australia has such a busy international schedule coming up.
"I won’t be going to the IPL,” Clarke said. The most important thing for me is we’ve only got a couple of weeks off, we’ve got a very busy schedule.
"With me, with my body and time with my family, I want time off this year."
But Clarke said his decision did not mean that he could not understand why so many other players did want to play in the Indian competition.
"It’s a wonderful thing for cricket, it’s definitely improved Twenty20 cricket, it’s played a part in improving One-day cricket," he said.
"The lead up to the Twenty20 World Championships is the IPL so it’s good preparation so it does not surprise me that a lot of players are going."
Following this decision by Clarke, Lalit Modi, Chairman of the IPL expressed disappointment and said that he was very upset with this decision by the Aussie vice-skipper.
He said, "IPL is upset with Michael Clarke’s decision and he is unlikely to play in the next season. Clarke pulled out of the IPL because no one was ready to pay $1 million. We did ask him to reduce the price but he was unwilling to do so."
Clarke was valued at $1 million and was set to be among the top three purchases in the auction to be held on Friday (February 6) in Goa. Chennai Super Kings, last year’s finalists, were expected to lead the bidding for Clarke.